Re: proofreading lament

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, David Bowman wrote:

I am extremely blind to the typographical errors in my writing, and when
writing email posts I am quite incapable of detecting a significant
fraction of them while proofreading before their submission.

You too, huh?

I suspect that the one thing that I could do that would most help the
situation is to submit *shorter posts*. That didn't seem to work on my
last erratum post though. Maybe I should just submit nothing until I
have my (English major) wife read through what I wrote, but this would
not help the cause of domestic tranquility.

*My* (English professor) wife is gracious about reading my prose when it
matters, but I would second your sense that proofreading phys-l
posts--especially *your* phys-l posts ;-)--might constitute an
unnecessarily egregious strain on the marital bond.

What proofreading tricks to the rest of you use to see your own typos?
I'm getting desperate here.

EARTH CALLING DAVID BOWMAN, EARTH CALLING... Yeah... Hello, David? Hi;
reality here. Listen. Surely you jest! I can't help but think that you
may have noticed that the audience you are speaking to is in *no* position
to be offering you advice along these lines.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223