Re: proofreading lament

I am extremely blind to the typographical errors in my writing, and when
writing email posts I am quite incapable of detecting a significant
fraction of them while proofreading before their submission....

What proofreading tricks to the rest of you use to see your own typos?
I'm getting desperate here.

Don't worry--I think we all experience the same difficulty. One trick that
I use that works fairly well is to actually read ALOUD what I have written.
It slows me down and allows me to spot most glaring errors. However, as
someone has already pointed out, there is a tendency to read what one wants
to say, not what is actually written. It therefore helps to set something
aside for awhile before proofreading. Unfortunately, this is hard to do
with e-mail.

Dennis

* Dennis E. Krause Phone: (413) 597-3306 *
* Department of Physics Fax: (413) 597-4116 *
* Williams College E-mail: dkrause@williams.edu *
* Williamstown, MA 01267 *
* http://www.williams.edu/Physics/dkrause/ *