Re: proofreading lament

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:25:53 EST
From: David Bowman <dbowman@tiger.gtc.georgetown.ky.us>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Cc: dbowman@tiger.gtc.georgetown.ky.us
Subject: proofreading lament

I am extremely blind to the typographical errors in my
writing, and when writing email posts I am quite incapable
of detecting a significant fraction of them while
proofreading before their submission. I just now noticed
more embarrassing typos in my last post *correcting* a
couple of the most egregious errors in a previous post
that seemed to be laced with them. For some reason it is
only *after* I submit a post that I can detect the typos
that appear in my copy of the post that the list server
sends out. Having a spell checker in my mail program
might allow me to catch the most of the spelling typos,
but it wouldn't do anything for the word deletions, word
insertions into the wrong place, etc..

I suspect that the one thing that I could do that would
most help the situation is to submit *shorter posts*.
That didn't seem to work on my last erratum post though.
Maybe I should just submit nothing until I have my
(English major) wife read through what I wrote, but this
would not help the cause of domestic tranquility.

What proofreading tricks to the rest of you use to see
your own typos? I'm getting desperate here.

Besides accidently deleting the word 'amplitude' from
between 'few degrees' and "on the slight", I accidently
got the period wrong here. ...
^^^^^^
Should say 'orientation' not 'slight', and 'accidently' is
properly spelled 'accidentally'.

1. I accidentally misquoted the exponents for a couple
of numbers I got
^^^
Should be 2. not 1.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us
It seems that the nature of the e-mail process generates
errors that are difficult to catch before a message is
posted. About all you can do is read it over and hope for
the best. I, too, am very prone to read what I intended to
say rather that what I wrote. WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr