Re: Oloid, super-egg

Anyone ever hear of a geometrical object called "superegg"? It was
supposed to behave like a rolling ball (stable in any position), yet be
oblong like an egg.

http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~eww6n/math/Superegg.html

DANG! Ain't the Web a wunderful thing!

If you make an egg such as this with three different axis lengths, we MIGHT
be able to spin it around it's SHORTEST axis and watch it CLIMB through the
other two axes of rotation, ending up, spinning around it's LONGEST axis.

I'm sure that the reason for this is OBVIOUS to SOMEBODY! (minimizing some
energy or other, for sure!)

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936