ESD , cycloid

Dear List,

I have a couple of questions. Will be glad to hear some
answers from the experts here.

1. I saw an instrument ,for measuring ESD (electrostatic
charge ), that uses a radioactive source. I Would like to know
the priciple of its working.

2. How to show that the cycloid is the curve of quickest
descent and that the time it takes for an object to move
along its path is same irrespective of the starting and
ending point.

Regards,
Jaya