Re: Ideocosmology

A week or two ago Rick Tarara wrote,"...what might be more beneficial than new
techniques in physics instruction are new techniques in training young people
how to study in general and how to learn new things." I've always assumed this
is the justification for requiring non science majors to take science courses.
We (scientists) seem to have a monopoly in these areas. In fact our monopoly
is so strong that people in other areas wishing to break new ground generally
copy the methods of science and append the name science to their discipline.
The factual content of gen ed science courses may never be used again and may
not be remembered by more than a few students past the final exam. However,
the methodology can and should be used regularly by everyone and those who
master the technique will be more successful in almost any endeavor.

One interesting aspect of this is that the basic investigative methods of
science are so little known and so rarely practiced that anyone skilled in
their use can gain a substantial advantage over the population as a whole. If
nothing else this advantage can allow one to retire with great wealth simply
by prudent investing.