Tenure Track Openings at UMD

Dear friends,

Sorry to have been off the list lately, but the chair duties have totally
overwhelmed me here (or, I have totally underwhelmed the chairmanship). I
will "reintroduce" myself to you via some (belated) good news: we finally
have gotten authorization to hire replacements for some of our retirees
and, at this late date, want to get the word out to everyone we can. The
full text of our announcement can be found at:

http://www.umassd.edu/1Academic/CArtsandSciences/Physics/JobAdd.html

We have so far had four retirements (out of 13) in the past 4 years, the
fifth (Wolf Kern) retires after this semester, the 6th and 7th (John
Russell and Zvi Bar-Yam) next December, and the 8th (John Dowd) in June,
1999. We have been promised ( yes, in writing!) that we will eventually
get back to our "full" strength of 13 lines. This Fall we hired two
physical oceanographers, who have each a 1/4-time position in our
department (one course each per semester) and the rest at CMAST, the Center
for Marine Science and Tech., which just opened a nice lab in New Bedford
this year. We have also been fortunate to have Renate Crawford here as a
Full-time visiting lecturer, doing a great job in our introductory courses,
now in her second year.

Although we are only presently authorized to hire one for Fall 98 and
another for January 99, we have strong hopes of getting a second person
authorized for the fall. Also, I will try to find funds so that the
January hire can start in September (touchy).

Some of you may have heard that we moved to the College of Engineering
about 20 months ago and are pretty happy with this move. No changes in the
degree requirements were made. Our enrollments in upper level courses are
presently averaging 10, which is about triple our 20-year average. (E.G.,
17 students taking the two-semester junior Quantum Mech. course - Eisberg).
In fact, we are at an all-time high in our BS program (up to 30 from a low
of about 15 three years ago), have 8-10 minors (more than the SUM of our
past 20 years!) and struggling a bit to keep our average of 12 MS granted
per year.

Anyway, we have a strong tradition of high quality teaching to all levels
of students, strong outreach programs (e.g. -- John Russell), a modest
observatory program (Al Hirshfeld) and hope to attract outstanding
candidates.

Well, enough gushing, here is a short version of the ad:

The Physics Department at UMass Dartmouth invites applications for two
tenure-track faculty positions (possibly three, contingent on funding) at
the Assistant Professor level starting September 1998 in applied physics
(such as condensed matter, liquid crystals, opto-electronics, or physical
oceanography) and January 1999 in fluid physics (such as geophysical fluid
dynamics, ecosystem dynamics, small-scale turbulence, or observational
oceanography).

Minimum requirements: Ph.D. degree in physics or closely related field;
broad knowledge of physics; demonstrated excellence in undergraduate
teaching; research experience, including publications and grants.
Candidates will be expected to provide research participation opportunities
for graduate and undergraduate students.

Full details are available at:

http://www.umassd.edu/1Academic/CArtsandSciences/Physics/JobAdd.html

Each application must include a curriculum vitae, statement of research
interests, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses
of three references. Deadline: Open until positions filled. The University
of Massachusetts Dartmouth is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

Paul Ukleja
Chair, Physics Department
UMass Dartmouth -- http://www.umassd.edu/
FAX -- 508-999-9115 -- Phone 508-999-8353