Re: electrolysis

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Wolfgang Rueckner wrote:

I tried to demonstrate electrolysis of water to some middle schoolers and
I got bubbles all right but in a ratio of 1:1 not 2:1 as I "should" have.

In reading some kiddy science books I get the impression that the
electrolyte and the electrodes have to be carefully chosen to get the
"right" answer. Can someone educate me here?

Crawford MacCallum

Need more details .... did you put salt in the water to make it conduct (in
which case it might have been chlorine bubbles) .... did you test the gases
you did collect to see it they were indeed hydrogen and oxygen? Usually
platinum electrodes are used and a little bit of sulfuric acid is added to
the water. Wolfgang

I didn't use salt. I think the electrodes were platinum (silver-looking,
borrowed from the University). The 'Hydrogen' went 'pop' appropriately.
Crawford