Re: Schroedinger quote

Are you suggesting that Schroedinger meant these words to apply only to
*males*?

"Every [person's] world picture is and always remains a construct
of [their] mind and cannot be proved to have any other existence."
--E. Schrodinger in Mind and Matter, 1958.

Yes, it is important to realize what was actually said. And yes, it is
important to recognize what may (or may not) have been meant. Striking
a reasonable balance is always tough. (We do a similar thing in
physics when we interpret "old" laws from "modern" perspectives.)

It this particular case, we have the added difficulty that the quote
was probably in German, in which case the ENTIRE translation should in
some sense be in brackets.

It is quite possible that the original quote in Geram is gender
neutral. A ten minute search on the web couldn't turn up the original,
so I'll just have to guess. The Germans have a word "man" that
translates not as "man" but as "one". From my couple years of
college German, it would seem unlikely that the original quote really
used a word meaning "male person". It is quite possible the translator
(before the age of politcal correctness) put it in a form that sounded
good in English, not in a form most identical to the German.

So, being a good scientist, I say let's look at the data (the original
quote, which I assume is in German) before arguing the nuances too much.

--- Tim Folkerts

Timothy J. Folkerts Tim.Folkerts@valpo.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy 219-464-6634
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383