Re: PARADE & Marilyn

At 20:47 3/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
My information from way back in my memory (not very reliable) is that
indeed the lowest freezing point of salt water was chosen. The degree
size was just the smallest he could comfortably read and came out to 180
degrees between freezing and boiling. Those two things led to freezing
point at 32 degrees.
J. Epstein

Lange's Handbook of Chemistry offers
a 23.3% mix of common salt as the eutectic mix which freezes at -6 degF
the mix for 0degF is 21% by wt.
By comparison, the eutectic mixes for some other salts are given below:
Ammonium Chloride 3.6degF
calcium chloride -67degF