Re: Ideocosmology

A few random replies and a heretical comment or two:

Of course, teaching at a private
college, we aren't about to flunk out the numbers we should (we'll give
them
Bs instead) lest we put ourselves out of business. ;-(

The gentleperson's C has apparently been replaced by the gentleperson's B.

Just because the text is encyclopedic, does that mean we have to teach that
way?

I have never understood the criticism of texts being too encyclopedic
(unless the criticism is based on a law of gravity and its relationship to
weight). Just because a book is long doesn't mean you can't omit entire
topics and chapters in the year long presentation of the material; your
course doesn't have to be isomorphic to the text!

An arguement can be made in favor of encyclopedic texts if you view the text
has being a reference that the student carries with them for many years to
come. They are expensive enough. And yes I know many students resell their
books, which is something I fight and recommend against whenever I have the
chance; particularly one's calculus, physics and chemistry text.

I learned it [reading] from fear of flunking out though, not
because it was taught to me.

Apparently a successful method of teaching in this instance. I have always
felt that you can't have decent education (at the college level, and
probably high school level as well) without some sense of *real* standards;
and this can only mean that there is some realistic chance of failure (other
than by non-attendance to the testing situations) when those standards are
not met.

Joel