Re: PARADE & Marilyn

In the latest PARADE, Marilyn was talking about the Fahrenheit scale,
and she said one thing that I'm sure is wrong and one thing that might
be wrong.

1) She implies that 32F is the melting point of ice, but NOT THE
FREEZING POINT OF WATER! I don't know what she thinks the freezing
point is, but (assuming equilibrium i.e. no supercooling) the two must
be the same.

2) How was the lower end of the scale chosen? I have heard her
answer, that he arbitrarily set 32F = freezing, and that he chose 0F as
the lowest freezing point of salt water. Anybody have an informend
opinion on the true history of the Fahrenheit Scale?

My recollection from ANCIENT tales of long ago was that 0 F was the lowest
point he could get with an ice/salt slurry. And 100 was his wife's body
temp.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936