Re: Sun or the Sun? Moon or the Moon?

Date sent: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:09:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI <KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu>

I am confused by the usage of the article "the" in connection with
Moon and Sun. We live on Earth but we are looking at the Moon or at
the Sun. I see no uniformity about this in what I am reading.

This capitalization of moon and sun make them look like proper nouns,
but they are really common nouns and therefore they take articles.

Earth is the name of our planet.
Luna is the name of Earth's moon. The moon is dead. Luna is cold.
Sol is the name of Earth's sun. The sun is hot. Sol is a star.

cheers,

Vern Lindsay

Firmware Systems, Inc. PLDL: Portable Lab Data Logger
vox:541-753-3617 fax:541-753-9250 http://www.e-z.net/~firmware
"The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us are going to the stars."
vlindsay@cvo.oneworld.com -- Sam Gunn