Re: AP physics

Chuck Britton wrote:

I have been having a discussion with a colleague re: AP classes. We would
like to know if the majority of AP physics classes have a
prerequisite/recommendation that requires students who enroll in these classes
to have already taken a year of physics. The AP folks suggest that the
students should take the additional year. I don't think that the typical
schedule of an honors student has room in it for the extra year every time
they take an AP course. What's the norm out there?

It is my opinion that ALL AP courses should be second year courses. You
MIGHT get by with Physics level B as an intro course for really good kids.
(Is it correct that the B syllabus has dropped fluids? Maybe they are
catching on to the less is more idea?)

-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-. .-
`-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-' `-'
britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936
Although I do not think all AP classes should be second year classes, I
agree that Physics B is hard to cover in a year. After trying three
years to do Physics B on an A/B block schedule, I have gone to doing AP
Physics C-Mechanics only with some additional topics thrown in that
interest the students and/or me.

Anyone out there having success with AP Physics on the block schedule? I
am not trying to start up a debate on block scheduling, but am
interested in how others are approaching AP with the block.

Thanks.

Vern Dewees
South Garland High School
Garland, Texas