Re: moon's synchronism

There are at least THREE components of angular momentum in the Earth-Moon
system: spinning of E, spinning of M, and the orbiting angular momentum.

Exactly, and the total of all three must be consereved.
Jim Riley

I am struggling mightily to follow this thread and gain of glimpse of where
it is going -- I clearly have lost sight of where it came from -- so when I
ask a question, I really don't know the value of that question -- because I
don't know the value of the assertions. (:-)

Yes, components of the total Moon/Earth angular momentum MAY be chosen as
above.
BUT does that total angular momentum need be conserved ? -- indeed isn't
it clearly NOT conserved? -- aren't there external torques applied to that
system?

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

http://www.sisna.com/users/jmgreen