RE: video capture boards

I have used the predecessor to the Smart Video Recorder, the Action Media II
card. As I understand it, the video capture hardware in the two is comparable.
We were able to get 340x240 pixel images out of it at 30 fps as I recall, which
is quite usable.

My advice is to test it with the system you are going to install it in before
paying for it. There still exist some subtle incompatibilities, especially with
older, non-PCI boards.

I'm pretty sure that the SVR is an "overlay" board. This will restrict the
allowable screen resolutions/colors you can run with the board installed, but
that shouldn't be a big restriction.

I don't know about your finances, but you might think about the Miro DC20 card
at around $500. It is PCI, so less chance of incompatibilities, and not an
overlay card, so allows higher resolution. It also captures at 640x480 by 30
fps.

Kenyon has developed our own video analysis software. It is available for free
at our FTP site. For more info, see our paper on the Web at
topaz.kenyon.edu/depts/physics/research/addeyes.htm, or our ftp site
ftp.kenyon.edu/pub/physics/SOFTWARE/WINDOWS/PHYSVIS.

Tim Sullivan
sullivan@kenyon.edu