Re: Light bulb science and technology

Before tungsten can be swaged or extruded it must be saturated
with copper. After the extrusion and coiling process the copper
is vaporised from the filament, leaving the tungsten pure once
again!

Many thanks for that information, Chuck. I never did find out
from Mickey Walsh how it was done. New question: How is Wollaston
wire made? It is Tungsten wire (I think) with a .0001" platinum
core. After fabrication the tungsten is dissolved away with acid
leaving the very thin platinum wire behind.

Leigh

Don't know about this one. Maybe the jacket is the same Tungsten/Copper alloy?
Can the Pt be drawn? (I suspect so.) Start with as this Pt wire as
convenient and put a W/Cu jacket on it before drawing down further.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936