Re: Light bulb science and technology

to appreciate just how amazing the tungsten light bulb filament is, I
urge every physics teacher to make the small effort required to look
closely at the filament from a 60W or 100W light bulb. Break a burned
out bulb to get at it; you can't see it though the envelope without a
good long distance microscope. A good hand magnifier will serve to
reveal the structure, but a stereo microscope is better if you have

Leigh

....I second this. In the 4th Ed of Cutnell & Johnson, students calculate
the length of a Tungsten filament in a 150W light bulb as 11m. Nonsense,
says I -- another atrociously bad text problem. Then I recalled Leigh's
comments on filaments from Phys-L several months back. So I do the 60W
bulb calculation (still several m of filament); break it open and examine
the filament under a 30X hand microscope. It's all there!!! And I used
to joke about installing car radios in Japanese cars :^) C&J and
Leigh have it right -- if you haven't examined a filament under a
low power microscope yet its time you did.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html