Re: Water Boil Water

Steven Su <att9092@singnet.com.sg> writes:

We know water boils at 100 degrees C.

Well .... Yes and no. On a high mountain where the air
pressure is low, water boils at much less than 100C.
Where air pressure is high (as in a pressure cooker) water
boils at much higher temperatures than 100C. In a geyser,
the pressure of overlying water in a crevice prevents the
water at the bottom from boiling at 100C.

Suppose I have a glass bottle half-filled with water. I place this
bottle (with no capping) into a pot of water that covers
two-thirds of the bottle. Now I boil this
pot of water (also not covered). Will the bottle of water boil?

Since the water at the bottom of the bottle has less water above it
than the surrounding water, there is less pressure and the water
will boil at a lower temperature.

Subsequently, if the bottle glass is thin, the water in the bottle
will boil before the rest of the water in the pot.

I have not tried this experiment yet but I personally guarantee
that I am correct in my predictions.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we are not always right, but we are NEVER wrong)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]