Re: Shopping Spree

I've been using the HP722C for about a month and have so far been
extremely pleased with it. The print quality seems near-perfect, and it
is very fast compared with the HP520 and 540 which I've also used. In
black at least, it seems to achieve its higher speed by printing the
equivalent of several lines of text with each pass of the printhead. Of
course, with Windows 95 the actual print time is a small part of the
"print-wait" time, since the formatting time is so long. Even when my
grading program (in QBasic) prints a class grade summary list there is a
relatively long delay, where the printing started almost instantly in
DOS or Windows 3.11. (The faster printer speed is still an advantage
when printing multiple pages or multiple copies.)

The 722C also has much better envelope-printing capability than the
earlier models, and it does have banner capability (but I haven't tried
it).

Fred Lemmerhirt
Waubonsee Community College
flemmerhirt@mail.wcc.cc.il.us

Jim Green wrote:

Oh, great wizards, I am about to go on a shopping spree. I seek your
advice:

1) It would appear that WIN95 will not tolerate my ImageWriterII
serial
printer and I must now upgrade. Which printer should I get? Epson
Stylus
400/600/800? HP 722c? Alps? (It's ink is not water soluable)
Something in
this price range but likely not a color laser.

2) I like the idea of the Epson 400 because it will do banners and I
want to
have the ability eventually of doing a strip chart recorder kind of
thing.
Comments? Any other InkJets do banners?

.. . . .

Jim Green