Re: math skills, was Proper scientific notation

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Jerome Epstein wrote:

If you want to make your faculty and administration see the reality, I
suggest giving my diagnostic test to a sample of your 12th graders. The
first half of the test contains questions which should be easily
solvable by a competent 8th grader, the second half contains algebraic
questions all but 3 of which should be answerable by anyone who has
passed first year algebra, the remaining 3 questions involve: basic
concept of a logarithm, concept of a function and graph of a function.

If you'd like to receive a copy of the report on this test (It has been
given now at about 20 institutions [high school and college] and to well
over 1000 students), please let me know, and let me know if you have
Microsoft WORD. The test has been a major eye-opener everywhere it has
been given. Of course, the reality rarely prompts any appropriate
action.

Jerome,

I would be very interested in both the test and the report. I just began
giving my own diagnostic test recently, but it would be great to have one
with some statistics to back it up. I have Word 5.1 for the Mac. RTF
interchange format should be a common denominator.

Thanks,

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223