Re: Favorite Test Questions

Rick Tarara wrote:

An associated question that I ask--if the force of friction is independent
of area (roughly so in this case) then why the wide tires? Answer--so that
the tires DON'T melt during the actual race. Frictional heating of the
tires is located over a larger object with lots of surface area to keep the
temperature from going above the melting point for the tire compound.

Isn't the coefficient of static friction area dependent? I know the
sliding friction doesn't change much with area, but wide tires (not
spinning) would increase the friction statically.