Re: Favorite Test Questions

Like most of your students, I am also having difficulty answering
the above question. According to my dictionary and most physics
textbooks, static refers to forces exerted on bodies at rest.
As the racers leave the starting line, both the wheels and the
rest of the racing cars are in motion. thus, static friction would
not apply at all to the situation as described.

The point of contact between tire and road is static unless the wheels
are slipping. The fact that the car is moving is irrelevant. The
surfaces in contact are momentarily at rest with respect to each other.
Static friction applies (you hope -- else you are out of control).
J. Epstein

The spinning wheels AT THE STARTING LINE undergo kinetic
friction from the time that they start spinning until that race car
comes to a full stop at the end of the drag race.

I'm afraid this is just not true.

J. Epstein