From: Tim Folkerts <Tim.Folkerts@valpo.edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 1998 11:16 AM
Subject: Favorite Test Questions

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:37:08 -0500 (EST) "Donald E. Simanek"
<dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu> wrote:

And if we, as teachers, give homework problems and exam questions which
can be "successfully" done by these methods, we will not encourage
physical thinking. We must exercise great ingenuity to structure our
measures of accomplishment so that all of these "crutches" are blocked
completely, so that a student simply cannot pass the course by using
them.

So, who out there has some favorite questions (either for homework or
for exams) that they would like to share? Questions that make the
students think rather than pick an equation from the text?

Here's one that I tried that students really struggled with, testing
understanding of friction.

"To achieve maximum acceleration, drag racers spin their tires as they
leave the starting line. How does this compare with your understanding
of static and kinetic friction?"

Most of the students blindly go ahead spouting the party line, never
realizing this example is exactly the opposite of what the model would
suggest. And this is after we had discussed antilock breaks. It takes a
reasonably sharp student to recognize the dilemma, and an even braver
student to say that the text is wrong!

Of course, now you have to grade an essay, rather that the math we are
all comfortable with, but it would be good for us to see on paper what
the students are _thinking_, not just the numbers and the equations
they are _using_!

--- Tim Folkerts

Timothy J. Folkerts Tim.Folkerts@valpo.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy 219-464-6634
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, IN 46383