Re: "Proper" scientific notation

I'll jump on the bandwagon and put in my two cents worth as well. I,
too, insist that my high school students write their answers as 2.3 x
10^3 and will not accept notation such as 2.3 E3.

Also, how many of you find that the students seem to have no concept of
their order of operations? (Yes, junk in = junk out!) This seems to be
a big problem with the "algebraic entry" graphing calculators. I used a
"regular" Texas Instruments calculator in high school (I graduated from
h.s. in '86) and now swear by my HP. I can't make up my mind on the
following: Do the "old/simple" scientific and RPN HP calculators force
one to know the order of operations or is it simply a matter of KNOWING
the order of operations?

Jennifer M. Seckinger
Evansville, IN 47712
jmssk8@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]