"Proper" scientific notation

This may have been addressed before, but I'd be interested in the
opinions of others on the list.

Graphing calculators give answers in scientific notation like:
2.5E3
meaning:
2.5 x 10^3 or 2500.
More and more of my students are beginning to express answers in this
format on tests and homework. Should I allow them to do this? My gut
feeling is no. One student I recently asked thought that his answer of
2E3 was equal to 8 instead of 2000!

By insisting on having students convert to "standard" notation am I
being prudent or old fashioned?

Dave

--
* David Simmons St. John's Jesuit High School *
* 5901 Airport Hwy Toledo OH 43615 *