Re: magnetic lines like these ?

A private message from X (see below) tries to address my conceptual
difficulties. I agree that Lenz's law plays an important role in
plasma when if flows through a magnetic field. But I am not able to
use it to explain the directions of the field lines associated with
solar wind. The interplanetary magnetic field lines are supposed to be
directed along the solar wind; they are not perpendicular to it. At
least that is how I interpret what I see in textbooks.

A picture (Zeilik's Figure 13.28, page 295) shows two solar spots of
opposite polarity, N and S. Magnetic lines outside the photosphere are
large arks. A neutral stream of plasma (ionized gas) enters the field
(from the photosphere below) and the horizontal sections of the
preexisting lines of B (tops of semicircles from N to S), are bent by
the stream. The lines of B become parallel to the flow of gas. That is
what I find so difficult to understand.
Ludwik Kowalski
P.S.

Here is what I would expect. Suppose a preexisting magnetic field, B,
pierced by a column of escaping plasma, is horizontal and that plasma
moves vertically up. In that case, by Lenz's rule, positive and negative
ions will start orbiting to produce a field equal and opposite to the
preexisting field. The orbits are perpendicular to B. A column of plasma
becomes a stream of magnetic dipoles (mixed with neutral particles); the
fields of dipoles are perpendicular to the flow of gas. Plasma does become
magnetized, as suggested by X, but not in the direction parallel to the
flow of solar wind. The phrase "frozen in" simply states that the
circulating loops are not rapidly destroyed through random collisions.
This is due to very low density, 10 to 100 particles per cm^3.

What experimental evidence do we have about the ORIENTATION of the field
carried by solar wind?

A message from X.

When a magnet is instantly placed on a conductive plate, the field
remains expelled from the plate by the induced current. Resistance
gradually removes energy, the flowing charges slow, and the field
"sinks into" the plate in tens of milliseconds. Standard stuff. If the
plate was a perfect conductor, it would take infinite time for the
current to decay, and the field would never sink in at all. There is
repulsion force between plate and magnet which decays as the current
decays.

If the magnet has been on the plate long enough that the current has
decayed and the fields have penetrated, and if the plate is suddenly
removed, the plate takes the fields along with it. Or alternately, the
changing flux induces a current loop which maintains the fields even
when the magnet is not there. If the plate was a perfect conductor, the
currents would persist forever, and the penetrated flux would forever
remained trapped in the plate even with no magnet around. Similar to
superconductive flux-pinning phenomena.

Half way between the above two situations we have "field dragging"
effects. If a copper plate is swept past a bar magnet, the field "sinks
into" the plate partially, current loops are induced, and the moving
plate can drag/stretch the field lines as it departs.

Now the following I'm not so sure about. If a bar magnet was in the
center of some sort of liquid metal fountain, and the metal was expanding
outwards asymmetrically (perhaps in a disk shape), then I would expect
that flows of charge would be induced in the metal so that the outward
moving metal would drag the loops of b-field along with it. The field
around the bar magnet would be distorted into a flat disk rather than
typical dipole, with loops of flux directed outward along one face of the
disk, diving through the disk at great distance, then returning inwards
along the other face of the disk.

If the sun essentially spews conductive plasma from it's equator, and if
the sun's magnetic dipole is through the poles, then I would expect that
the moving plasma would drag field lines along with it and distort the
sun's field radially outwards from the equator. The extended loops of
b-field might even neck down, pinch off, and fly away from the sun as
closed loops which penetrate a gob of moving plasma (with loops of
charge-flow in the plasma of course, like a 1-turn electromagnet.)
Electrical resistance would eventually slow the charge flow and collapse
the field loops, but until it did, the fields might form magnetic bottle
effects, and maintain "clots" of plasma by magnetic pressure.