Re: misconception re ice melting under skates

Stony Brook, NY 11794-3800

Clifford E Swartz
PHYSICS
516 632-8175 991022
02-Mar-1998 10:49am EST
FROM: CSWARTZ
TO: herbgottlieb@juno.com ( _herbgottlieb@juno.com )

Subject: RE: : Re: misconception re ice melting under skates

Dear Herb,
There's a 2/3 page explanation of the ice skating
problem on p 93 in the book that Tom and I wrote,
including a reference to an article on the subject
in TPT, 30,495 (1992). Rather than typing it out on
the computer, I could send a fax or hard copy if you're
interested. One of the fascinating features of the
explanation is that Faraday first noticed, or suggested,
the effect. The liquid transition layer between vapor and
solid is several hundred molecules thick at 0 degrees and
decreases to 0 thickness at about -10 degrees. Optimum
temperature for low friction and fast skating is at
about -7 degrees, because there is a competing factor
of hardness of the ice.
Cliff

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]