Re: Universal expansion or local contraction?

Paul & Gary,

Thanks for your replies.

Paul Camp writes:

<< I believe we would be able to detect a local streaming motion of
galaxies (which does exist but is not a contraction). Contraction
would require a local mass concentration that doesn't appear to
exist. >>

And Gary Karshner writes:

<< I doubt that a local contraction would give you Hubbles relation,
that is the fainter an object is (further away) the faster it is moving away
in a direct proportion. Your local contraction would have to be come global
and give us a very special place in the universe. >>

When I said local, I was thinking local for each galaxy (in that regard it
would be a global effect and not give us a special place in the universe).
Let me try again.

Assume that there are three hydrogen atoms lying on the points A, B and C, of
a right triangle with sides 3, 4 and 5 billion light years apart. Now five
billion years ago, they were all interacting with other local matter and
emitting spectrums because of this interaction. They continue to interact
with local matter and emit over time. At present time, three local observers
appear and examine their local hydrogen spectrums and the other two hydrogen
spectrums. How would the hydrogen spectrums compare for each observer in the
cases below?

Assume that local space has remained constant and that A, B, and C are all
moving away from one another with speeds that may depend on relative
separation between the observers.

Assume local space for each observer has contracted, and A, B, and C are not
moving with respect to one another. If each observer measures local space
based on their older local hydrogen spectrum, how would they interpret the
younger light emitted by younger hydrogen atoms at the other two points? In
other words, what would happen if there is an aging process to matter and that
a hydrogen atom's spectrum is changing? Then how would each observer
interpret a measurement of younger light when compared to light emitted by
older local matter? I'm assuming this effect would occur at all observers'
locations. Where does this break down?

Thanks,

Bob Carlson