Re: What to teach (was: American students do poorly)

In a 2/27/98 Phys-L posting =93What to teach (was: American students do
poorly), Tim Burgess writes:

=93Our struggle is not with ill prepared students. The struggle is with =
system that does not recognize the need for widespread science and math
fluency....=94

I agree with the second sentence but not with the first. Over the course
of meeting some 3000 students entering introductory physics courses at
Indiana University between 1970 and 1995, I became painfully aware of
their rapidly deteriorating preparation for any substantive introductory
physics course. In my opinion, present day students are, on average,
sadly deficient in mathematics, science, English, drawing, problem
solving, and the ability to think critically. Such inability of K - 12
students has been amply documented by an avalanche of studies, TIMSS
being the most recent.

Consistent with the observations of Arons(1), Jerome Epstein(2) writes
=93In large numbers our students [at Bloomfield College (NJ) and Lehman
College(CUNY)] cannot order a set of fractions and decimals and cannot
place them on a number line. Many do not comprehend division by a
fraction and have no concrete comprehension of the process of division
itself. Reading rulers where there are other than 10 subdivisions,
basic operational meaning of area and volume, are pervasive
difficulties. Most cannot deal with proportional reasoning nor any sort
of problem that has to be translated from English. Our diagnostic test
(3), which as been given now at more than a dozen institutions
....(including Wellesley!)...shows that there are such students
everywhere.=94

As repeatedly emphasized by Arons (1,4), Goodland (5), McDermott(6), and
Wilson and Daviss (7), a crucial need is for the proper education and
professional development of all teachers over long time periods
extending from their early education on into their professional years.=20
This is an a task which colleges and universities need to address.
(8,9).

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<hake@ix.netcom.com>
<http://carini.physics.indiana.edu/SDI/>