Re: misconception re ice melting under skates

At 12:47 2/26/98 -0800, you wrote:
...Finally, I apologize for possible distortion of Hewitt's conceptual
presentation of regelation phenomenon which I think was correct (including
the across heat transfer). His remark that [plastic] string would not do
it could be understood within reasonable approach. Of course, nylon
thread will do it [if a copper wire did!], but slowly. How slowly? - In
correspondence to its heat conductivity, which is not zero. In a
conceptually oriented course, it is legal to idealize illustrations and, I
think, it is OK.

I believe you have just stated clearly the correct situation, without
resorting to misconception, in words only, and with little obfuscating
mathematics. Saying that plastic string won't do it is a misconception
of the simplest kind. It is not a simplification; it is (simply) wrong.
Would it have exceded the bounds of reading level to say that the
plastic string would pass through the cube much more slowly because it
has a much lower capability for transferring heat than the metal wire?
(Sorry, Ludwik; that's the way I would do it in a course for
unsophisticated students.)Leave out the "In correspondence to its heat
conductivity", but why lie? Hewitt obviously knows the truth and he
*oversimplifies*. I think that is clearly unjustifiable in this case,
and I can't imagine any reasonable defense of Hewitt's (reported)
statement. It can only be defended as a matter of taste, and it tastes
awful to me!
Leigh

It is quite conceivable that Galil and Palmer are right as to the
possibility of some plastic line traversing an ice block, albeit slowly.

However, despite the high didactic, even inflexible tone conveyed in
this note, I do not discard the idea that the person who published the
research paper, Hewitt, may have it right - that a particular plastic
line may be DEAD-stopped by an iceblock that will permit a metal wire
to penetrate.
You see, it seems Hewitt's critics have over-simplified the physics -
as teachers sometimes do.
In my view - a controlling parameter is the ratio of thermal
conductivity in the line to that of the surrounding ice.
If THIS ratio becomes sufficiently low ( for a particular diameter
of lines) then the latent heat is dissipated in side ice where it
does not contribute to the desired effect, rather than ice in the desired
plane where it is needed.

Whatcott