Re: misconception re ice melting under skates

Igal Galili <igal@vms.huji.ac.il> writes:

. P. Hewitt in his book writes (p. 295)
that thermal conductivity does play a crucial role in the indoor
experiment. He says that a string [ I believe he meant a plastic
string] won't do it. So, the negative result in the outdoor experiment
was
simply an evidence that the pressure Ludwik arranged in his OUTDOOR
TEMPERATURE environment was not high enough for the cause the regelation
to go
which is plausible (the required pressure must be a function of
temperature).

But at the bottom of page 295, Hewitt claims that the thermal
conductivity of the wire transfers heat energy from the top
surface of the wire to its bottom surface. He DOES NOT mention
any heat transfer to or from the environment outside the ice block.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we have had no accidents this year of skaters in
Central Park falling through thin ice on the lake)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]