Re: Scotch tape, "Sticky Electrostatics"

At 12:52 AM 2/22/98 , Bill wrote:
On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, John Gastineau wrote:

Take a 20-cm strip of tape, fold the last cm over to make a handle, and
stick it to your desk. Smooth it down well.

My vanity demands that I wonder aloud: might this have propagated from my
original "sticky electrostatics" science museum handout from ten years
ago, or did somebody else come up with the same thing independantly?

It's always hard to say where ideas originated. I can confirm that I
didn't come up with the charged tape experiments.

The book Electric and Magnetic Interactions, by Ruth Chabay and Bruce
Sherwood of CMU, is one that I have taught from several times. You can
find more info at http://cil.andrew.cmu.edu/emi.html. The book starts
with these tape experiments.

Where did C&S get the tape ideas? I don't know. The book is from 1995.

JEG

John E. Gastineau gastineau@mindspring.com KC8IEW
900 B Ridgeway Ave. http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
Morgantown WV 26505 (304) 296-1966 voice (304) 296-5035 fax
USA