Re: displacement current

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Mark Shapiro wrote:

I also point out that the magnetic field generated by the
"displacement current" between the plates of the capacitor is different in
an important way from the magnetic fields that they have dealt with
before. It is easy to show that it has a 1/r spatial dependence, so it is
a radiation field. Previously, they have seen that a localized,
time-varying electric field produces an electric field with a 1/r spatial
dependence. This paves the way for the discussion of e.m. waves.

Mark,

I can't make sense of this; what am I missing? Doesn't the first
magnetic field most students see--that of a long straight current
carrying wire--have a "1/r" dependence? Doesn't the magnetic field
between the plates of a "charging" (sorry Bill) parallel circular
plate capacitor (as if such things were actually used) in fact have
an "r" dependence? And why should "1/r" necessarily imply a radiation
field anyway?

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223