Re: Apparent weight

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, David Bowman wrote:

A. R. continues:
Well then, according to your weaker criterion, forces become
accelerations; why use the two distinct terms? Why teach our students
two distinct terms if they really always mean the same thing? How
would you distinguish the two terms pedagogically? I am really asking
this to gain enlightenment on how to teach these matters in a practical
way.

These are good and fair questions. To answer the first part, I prefer
to use the concept of forces as the mathematically functional 'causers'
of accelerations in any given frame.

So am I correct in concluding that in your approach *any* acceleration
relative to *any* frame always has a force corresponding to it? To be
specific, since I clearly measure myself to have big accelerations
relative to yonder stunt pilot doing maneuvers in the sky, if I wish to
calculate in that frame I gain a force acting on me that I do not feel,
but which "mathematically functions" as the cause of the accelerations?
Why does mathematics require such a cause?

Regarding the substantive last
question, the way I see the situation is that the answer is related to a
frequent/usual reason why the postulated existence of any forces are
invoked in the first place. Usually the way mechanics is presented to
students is in the context of the presentation of Newton's laws. First,
we tend to emphasize to students via N1 that the natural condition for
influence-isolated objects to be in is a state of coasting. That is,
things tend to keep doing what they have been doing unless compelled to
do otherwise by some external agency. We then call forces those external
influence agencies that act to change the state of motion of objects.

I can't help but notice that you make no mention, here or in all that
follows, of inertial reference frames or inertial trajectories (the
geodesics of either Newtonian flat or Einsteinian curved spacetime). Is
that by design. Do you ever include such in your teaching. If so, I
would be intrigued to hear how.

Since I don't take the ontology of forces that seriously in the first
place, I tend to gravitate toward the functionalism of the N1 & N2
priority over N3 senario, where forces are just the *mathematically
functional* motivators of accelerations rather than actual necessarily
ontologically existing influences between pairs of pieces of matter and
between different spatially adjacent regions of interaction fields. IOW,
I don't necessarily see forces as actual causes of anything, just as
mathematically useful constructs that mathematically function as such
causes on individual objects.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us

Very interesting. Now I see where the big differences in approach arise
from. To me forces are very real and powerful physical phenomena, whose
properties and effects can be *described* mathematically. I don't conceive
their existence as purely mathematical, and so I take there ontology very
seriously, as I am sure you have noticed from previous posts. I thank you
for your candor and clarity. It at last clears up where the differences
lie.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@loyno.edu
Department of Physics, Box 124 PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453