Universal expansion or local contraction?

As has been apparent from my posts to this list, I deal more in the applied
sciences and am lacking in SR and GR. I'll just throw this out and ask for
refuting experimental evidence. It is something that has crossed my mind (and
probably been thought of before and struck down), but I have had not the time,
nor the background, to answer.

What are the implications of contracting matter? What if the universe is
approximately the same size, but we perceive it to be expanding because we are
locally contracting? What implications does this have on say, the Bohr model,
and red shifting? How would we perceive light from a distant galaxy, if that
light were emitted at a time when our local matter was at the same compressed
state as the distant galaxy, but now when we receive the light our measure of
distance and time has changed because of contraction?

Bob Carlson