Re: "Charged" capacitor mis-terminology

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, David Bowman wrote:
There is a good
reason for this; nothing necessarily flows when a magnetic field changes
in a region of space. It is true that a time-changing magnetic flux
mathematically acts as a source for a non-longitudinal (non-irrotational,
maybe rotational?) electric field (EMF), but that doesn't give us license
to call it a current. Since we do not regard a time-changing magnetic
flux as the flow of some kind of magnetic displacement current, then
neither should we regard a time-changing electric flux as the flow of some
kind of electric displacement current, even though it mathematically
acts as a source for a non-longitudinal magnetic field.

David,

If magnetic charges were part of the everyday world, there WOULD be
justification for giving the name "Displacement magnetic current" to
changes in manetic flux.

Charge/monopole asymmetry naturally leads to conceptual asymmetry
regarding "Displacement Current."

I've often bemoaned the fact that there is no hyper-permeable
ferromagnetic compound which would allow transformer cores to take the
form of mile-long loops of small-diameter material. Ring-shaped
transformer cores would then seem to be like pairs of wires, but "wires"
which conduct a monopole-like flow of magnetic displacement current.

Conversely, if there were hyper-permittivity materials, the dielectric
between a capacitors plates could take the form of a long, thin fiber. We
could then create pure displacement currents through pairs of
nonconductive "wire."

Both are combined of course, when we use optical fibers.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb