Re: "Charged" capacitor mis-terminology

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Charge never flows through a capacitor (it can flow in the
external circuit).....

What?! You've never heard of displacement charge? It is all
fictitious, of course, but there are two kinds, one of which
is real (or, perhaps, it's the other kind that's real).

That reminds me of an interesting story. The psychologist Stanley Milgrim
once performed what he called a "cyranoid" experiment. He rigged a young
child with an FM earphone receiver and trained the kid to instantly speak
out loud everthing he heard coming from the earphone. Then he collected a
set of big-name researchers, lecturers, philosophers, etc., and had them
take turns using the transmitter to speak through the kid. He then had
various people interview his rigged kid. The poor victims did not know
they were actually dealing with massive collective brain power at the
adult level.

Real/fictitious applies to listserv subscribers. Milgrim unfortunately
didn't live to see internet take off. He would have loved it! On
internet no one knows if you're a dog. Or an entire psychology
department.

Don't worry, I'm real.

After all, you can look at my photo on my webpage! :)

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb