Re: Explaining

An instructive parallel is marbles falling through syrup in the earth's
gravitational field. They travel at a terminal velocity, serving in
effect as a mechanism for transforming into heat the work done by the
earth's gravitational field. In the electrical current carrying wire
electrons are falling through an electrostatic field (due to surface, etc
charges) at a terminal velocity (effectively) and "immediately" giving
that energy up to the lattice as heat.

I teach it the other way around: because there is a p.d across the wire
there must be an E field doing work on the carriers. Since they do not
come out with increased KE (I is the same, etc) there must be an energy
sinking mechanism in the wire (or indeed in any two terminal device which
exits the an unchanged current after a p.d. drop). Touch the wire and
you will discover where the "lost" KE is going. Then make the marble
analogy.

In the same way a potential rise (and constant current) implies an energy
source, since the carriers climb a potential hill, against a field,
without losing KE.

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net