Re: apparent weight

Only two examples were given in this thread, separation of
particles in a centrifuge and the shape of a spinning planet.

I must have missed the posts where these examples were presented, but they
are perfect examples to illustrate the pedagogical advantages of doing
away with fictitious forces. We miss a powerful teaching opportunity if
we do not use them to illustrate how the inertia of the component
particles in both cases (rather than any imagined outward force)
completely explains both phenomena.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@loyno.edu
Department of Physics, Box 124 PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453