Re: Capacitor Misconceptions

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Richard W. Tarara wrote:

and saying that we want the device to be able to _store_ a separated charge
(positive on one plate, and equal amount of negative on the other).

Hey, here's a similar phenomenon which clarifies capacitor "charge" (at
least for me): When an object acts mechanically upon another, a pair of
forces arise. To express the value for force, do we subtract one vector
from the other, (giving 0f ), or do we add them (giving 2f)? Or should
the force between two objects be expressed as "f", not because we are
artificially eliminating one of the vectors, but because "force is 1f" is
a fundamental part of our "force" concept?

So say the same about "charge separation." The law of charge conservation
is analogous to Newton's 3rd, and therefor "charge separation" always
implies that, for a Q amount of separation, there must somewhere be a +Q
and a -Q arising. An imperfect analogy, but it shows that similar
conceptualy difficulties arise elsewhere.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb