Re: CHARGED CAPACITOR TERM

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I tend to agree with Bob that we have more potentially domaging
misconceptions than the one which can possibly result from taking the
phrase "charging a capacitor" in a perverted way. But the phrase
"energizing it" is probably better and I will start using it.

I agree somewhat. This discussion did not start with my objections to
"charging" and "discharging." I had first added this misconception to
Ludwik's list:

36) 2-plate capacitors are charged with energy, not with electrical
charge. A charged capacitor contains just as many + and - charged
particles as a discharged capacitor.

I still insist that "capacitors store charge" is a misconception. In
addition to this issue, I found that I grow uncomfortable when I tell
someone that I've "charged" or "discharged" a capacitor. But this
terminology problem is not the central issue, and I see that I got going
on it while devoting less energy to the original issue, #36 above.

The plates of a 2-plate capacitor, when considered individually, obviously
do store charge. But the "capacitor" device used in electronic equipment
normally does not. That is not its intended function. If I surround a
capacitor with a spherical Gaussian surface, then during "charging" no
charge is delivered into that surface. And during "discharge", no
charge exits through that surface.

I do agree that a 2-plate capacitor can be made to store charge if a third
plate is provided. If I twist the leads of a 10uF electrolytic capacitor
together and briefly touch them to the terminal of a VandeGraaff
generator, then my capacitor does store charge, with opposite charge being
stored on earth-ground.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb