Re: apparent weight

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 22:26:04 -0600 (CST)
From: "A. R. Marlow" <marlow@loyno.edu>
Subject: Re: Apparent weight

... For example, in the case of the experiences in a carnival centrifuge,
if we simply reported what we experienced, we would report a force on our
backs exerted by the wall of the centrifuge pushing us toward the center
of the centrifuge, and we would be perfectly accurate. This very real
centripetal force can leave bruises, do work and be perceived, three
things that fictitious "forces" cannot do.

Somehow, however, people are tempted to create the psychological fiction
of an outward force pressing them against the wall; there is no such
force, and no amount of coordinate redefinition can create one or
transform away the very real effects of the centripetal force that
actually exists.
Let me defend a naive position. It is a risky busines but what do I have
to loose? I am saying that a cetrifugal force is real, as far as a bead
mounted on a rotating stick is concerned. The stick is horizontal and turns
about a vertical axis. Suppose I am that bead and I experience acceleration
with respect to the beam on which I am sitting. I am gaining speed while
sliding away from the axis of rotation. What is wrong with saying that m*a
is the centrifugal force? It is very real in my rotating frame, it can hurt
by making me dizzy, etc.

I know it is often simpler to solve problems in non-inertial frames but
why should this prevent me from calling 0.5*m*v^2 a real force? (I can
measure v with resect to circular markings on the soil below me at any
time because I happen to have a stopwatch. v<<c)

What is the cause of the net force acting on me? I do not have to know this;
I am simply recognizing a force by an acceleration which I can measure. And
I happen to have a bathroom scale attached to my back. What happens when I
slide to the end of the beam where a wall is mounted to protect me? The
scale is between me and the wall. What does it read? It reads exactly
0.5*m*v^2, where v refers to the speed at my current radial distance.

The third law? My body acts on the wall, and the wall acts on my body,
with a force of equal magnitude. Can I predict the outcome of a collision
between two marble balls colliding along the radius (in a tube inside of my
transparent beam)? Why do I have to answer this question? It has nothing
to with calling m*a a real force. What is wrong with my reasoning?
... Newton's third law of motion does not [ALWAYS] apply in a noninertial
frame of reference. Momentum is not [ALWAYS] conserved within such a
frame, either.
I took the liberty of adding ALWAYS because Leigh later implied this.
Forgive me if I am wrong. Sure, non-inertial frames are often easier to
work with. But sometimes the idea of a real centrifugal force is usueful.
The rapid sedimentaion inside of a centrifuge tube, for example, is easier
to comprehand in the rotating frame than in laboratory frame.

Ludwik Kowalski