Re: potential difference reduced by dielectrics

I now prefer to explain the reduction of delta-V directly from the locations of the
dipole charges, rather than discussing electric fields between the plates. Once
it's clear that the potential must be lower, then so must the average electric field
be lower as well.

Any comments?
--

Mike

Mike Moloney moloney@nextwork.rose-hulman.edu

For me the defining moment came when I watched a candle flame placed between
two vertical plates attached to a VanDeGraaf. I see the flame twist over and
I see how potential energy is stored by the distortion of a macroscopic
dipole-like object; extending to microscopic media is then like extending
Hooke's Law to the "stuff" in a tabletop for N3 phenomena.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html