Re: misconception bu omission

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:42:37 -0500
From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@velocity.net>
To: <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Subject: Re: misconception bu omission

Ludwig,
I am surprised to see the butchering in your copy of my post; my
list-received copy did not have them. I am using Outlook Express of MSIE4
and have it set to send in Plain Text; nor did I use any special characters.
It looks like the equal signs terminating the 3rd and 5th lines indicate
word wrapping within a word! The only other butchering is the text
"blas=E9" (5th line), which should read "blase". Did others get these
butcherings on this post?

I get these butcherings all the time, and I'm using Eudora Pro Version 2.2

I've assumed that it has something to do with getting Phys-L in digest
format. I imagine the mail program can't cope with getting a mixture of
ascii, mime and whatever.

The exponential models of radioactive decay and capacitor discharge predict
infinite lifetimes. There is always charge left; there is always un-decayed
matter left. We know that is not so! I cannot imagine presenting this model
without a full discussion of the logical origins, implications, etc of this
absurd mathematical statement. Can we (should we) use a better model? . . .
etc.

A model with limitations, yes, but that's usually the case isn't it. As
someone else has pointed out, the typical student lab based on exponential
decay "works" pretty well - and that includes being able to see what the
limitations are.

Mark

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic