Re: Capacitor Charged, Right term

To speak of the capacitance of a single sphere is misleading. It is the
capacitance of that sphere in combination with the infinite radius "sphere
at infinity". If the small sphere has charge Q the sphere at infinity has
charge -Q. After all, the radial field originating on Q must continue to
-Q.

Ludwik,
mentioned this situation; and I brought it up and mention it for its
relevance to the capacitor discussion and for its own right.

I have never been happy with the statement that the field lines on the +Q
charge must continue to -Q's at infinity. Why? Does this mean a universe
that consists of one positive electron is impossible??

If one insists that a capacitance is two conductors and the charge is always
just seperated charge, how did you charge up that single conducting sphere??
No doubt with an infinitely long wire hooked to the battery.

My opinion, is that saying that this single conductor capacitor implies
negative charges at infinity; is simpy a mental construct made solely to
allow one the mental convenience of saying all field lines orginate on
positive charges and terminate on negative charges; *always*. I don't think
it is necesary to say this nor even correct; Because I think a universe of
one proton only is consistant with Maxwell's equations, and would be a
universe with no negative charges upon which the Field lines from the proton
would terminate.

I admit, I'm venturing into the realm of meta-physics to some extent, but
thoughts and opinions are welcome

Joel