Re: Apparent weight

In a message dated 98-02-14 16:28:13 EST, Leigh Palmer writes:

What texts define it differently and therefore make statics and dynamics
problem solving easier?

<< Mine would. But then it would also talk about "centrifugal force", and
the term "centripetal force" would never appear at all! If you don't
think that would make solving problems easier then you have not been
properly introduced to the topic of so-called "frame forces". I won't
write my textbook, however. >>

Too bad, I'd love to read it. I don't talk about either of the C forces, and
just leave it at Fnet = ma.

<< It doesn't make the problem solving easier, but David Hestenes's fine
textbook "New Foundations for Classical Mechanics" does not define
weight at all. >>

Probably because he didn't have too, as it had been previously defined in pre-
req courses. Also, it's not a new word and what are words without
definitions. Here are some more sources for definitions of weight:

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 66th Edition

The force with which a body is attracted toward the earth. Snip. The weight
of mass m, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, W = mg.

Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1983

weight . . .; attraction of a material body by gravitational pull toward the
center of the earth: in physics, distinguished from mass.

Weightless is also defined in this edition. You'll enjoy this Leigh.

weightless - having little or no apparent weight; specifically, lacking
acceleration of gravity or other external force, as a satellite in earth orbit
when the gravitational pull of the earth is counterbalanced by the centrifugal
force imparted to the satellite by its initial rocket blast.

Webster's New World Dictionary School and Office Edition, 1967

weight 2. heaviness; attraction of a body, by gravitation, toward the earth.
Note: weightless is not in this edition.

The World Book Encyclopedia, 1961

Weight is the measure of the force with which an object is pulled toward the
center of the earth by gravity.

So, do we throw out weight and call it something else? Re-define it? I'll
continue to use it until someone starts a revolution and calls it something
else with less than six letters.

Bob Carlson