Re: magnetic poles

Her Gottlieb writes:

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:52:34 +0100 Mark Sylvester <msylvest@spin.it>
writes:

Doesn't this all become a non-issue if we say "The Earth's Magnetic
North Pole is a south-seeking pole"?

I'm afraid that it would take a bit more than that to make it a
"non-issue".
A south-seeking pole would seek the south poles of suspended bar magnets.

Yes I see the problem. Serves us right for using the same words for
geographical directions and poles of magnets. Not to mention having *poles*
which could be either points on the Earth or ends of magnets. I haven't had
to teach this seriously for years since the students I get mostly understand
the distinction already, and "introduction to magnets" is a session on
getting them to remember what they know.

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic
34013 Duino TS