magnetic poles

Doesn't this all become a non-issue if we say "The Earth's Magnetic North
Pole is a south-seeking pole"?

Mark

14) The Earth's "N" pole actually resides in the southern hemisphere

This statement is very misleading.

No, because the definition of "n-type magnet pole" may not be what one
would expect. By the definition found in physics books, the end of a
compass which points to the north, contains an "n-type" pole. Since
opposite poles attract, the northern hemisphere of the earth can be
regarded as containing an "s-type" pole.

If it were true that the Earth's North
pole
resides in the southern hemisphere, the Southern hemisphere would have
been called the Northern hemisphere.

Or alternativly: if ancient peoples understood magnets, they would have
placed an "S" on the end of a compass needle which points towards the
north. Then we could properly place a big "N" on the earth's northern
hemisphere. But they put the "N" on the wrong end of the compass needle,
and physics has taken the compass needle for being a permanent magnet, and
preserved the "N" and "S" lables when defining magnetic poles.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic
34013 Duino TS
Italy.