Ceiling fan design

Hi,

During Christmas, I spent a week in Honduras visiting my daughter who is
in the Peace Corps. We saw a number of ceiling fans, mostly older ones,
where the blades were horizontal, or nearly so, with the tips bent
upward at a 70+ degree angle. My knowledge of aerodynamics is limited
resulting in my failure to understand the function of the bent tips.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.